Community Coastal Experience 2023
Embracing culture and science throughout the Gulf of Alaska.
The CORaL Network is excited to announce the launch of our first 5-week Community Coastal Experience, an opportunity for adults ages 18+ to explore career and internship pathways in: marine science, archaeology, cultural history, and more! Participants will travel with program leaders to observe, learn, and practice new skills in Kachemak Bay, Seward, Cordova, and Kodiak.
Participants will connect with specialists in long-term research and monitoring, mariculture, archaeology, restoration, animal care, science communication, community-based science, and place-based education in Southcentral Alaska. No prior experience is necessary.
During this intensive, five-week program, participants will explore career and internship pathways in:
- Cultural History
- Marine Mammal Rescue and Rehabilitation
- Seabird Research and Monitoring
- Food and Mariculture Sciences
- And much more!
- The Community Coastal Experience (CCE) will take place throughout four core locations in Southcentral Alaska. Experiences in each location are hosted by local research agencies and community organizations:
- These core experiences provide a fun and fascinating way to share and explore community-based ecological knowledge. As you travel throughout the region, you will make observations and comparisons of the environment around you. You will connect with many knowledge-bearers who will guide your understanding of each place. You will also attain job-related skills and grow your professional network by building relationships with organizations that offer jobs and internships!
The Community Coastal Experience will take place from June 4 – July 7, 2023. Participants will receive compensation in the form of a $3,000 stipend. All travel, lodging, and food will be provided.